Thread: Tivo V6 Free V6 box
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2018, 16:00   #296
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
I ordered 2 V6 boxes almost a month ago to replace my 2 Tivos. Heard nothing and when i telephoned yesterday they had a record of the original contact but for whatever reason the order never went through.

Virgin have agreed to have an engineer install 2 V6's next week for no charge. Great I thought. But now there is a snag.

I currently have 2 tivos and a also a V HD box (this is in the converted garage/granny flat that my elderley mother in law has) . She is quite happy with this. She can just about work it and it fits in the cabinet.

The original plan was to keep the V HD box as it is so she was unaffected. The 2 V6's would replace the Tivos. Virgin had told me a few weeks this was fine.

Now they say the V HD box must be replaced as it will soon be obsolete and be disconnected.They could not give a date but could be within a couple of months. This is the first I have heard of this. Though i recall reading something that Sky Sports HD will at some point be removed from the V HD box??? We subscribe to Sky Sports (but not HD).

So now they suggest replacing the Tivos with the V6 as originally planned but using one of the Tivos to replace the V HD box. Now that sounds fine except my mother in law does not need a Tivo. She is happy with the V HD box . She will no doubt struggle to get to grips with using the Tivo and I know for a fact she will not use the record function. She is 91 and it will all go over her head I'm afraid.

The other issue is the Tivos is much bulkier than the old box and probably wont fit in her cabinet. I havent told her yet but she wont be happy. I may need a drink before I do.

I had thought about putting the smaller sized V6 box in her room (though most of the features will be wasted on her) if only because it would look better. However the room is a dead spot for wi-fi (probably due to the amount of insulation in the walls). I think I am right that the V6 has to be connected to the internet to function. I know mobile phones and laptops simply dont work well in there. Streaming video has no chance. The other issue is her part of the house is on a seperate mains electricity ring so powerplugs wont work i dont think either.

Nightmare.

Is anyone hear able to confirm the V HD boxes are to be obselete/disconnected over the coming months and that keeping the V HD is not an option?
The V6 can go anywhere it doesn't need line of sight to operate.