View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 18:54   #15
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one
Re: VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
Exactly!

There is more active powered kit in your street cabs etc going down the RFoG path.

I personally am hoping that VM at some point does make the jump. When you have a connection that does not feature jitter, you really notice it in some applications.

Having been on xPON for the past year, however as I moving home I am having to go back to old HFC. A real 1G up/down has been a treat, especially during the current pandemic. Whilst I think we are all sick of work video calls (in fact I think I could go so far as to say I have had enough for an entire lifetime) my xPON connection has operated flawlessly. Other colleagues have stutters and stops, but my soon to be old connection just holds the fort.
I think people forget, to get to the eventual cheaper running Rfog you have to spend 100's of millions to get it. When you already have a HFC network that is being upgraded,(not quick enough i might add) it's going to be cheaper to do, then implement Docsis 3.1.