View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 12:22   #47
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Riot police in stand off as illegal Catalonia independence vote begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I recall Juncker commenting on post Brexit hate crimes against Polish migrants in the UK so why he feels he can't say something about this (presuming he still hasn't) is beyond me.
That's not an internal UK matter, this is an internal Spanish matter.

It's very difficult. On the one hand the usual suspects complain about EU leaders and institutions 'meddling' in Catalonia:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...European-Union

Quote:
‘Those are the rules’ Meddling EU bosses try to HALT Catalan referendum with threats

MEDDLING European Union officials continue to bury their nose into domestic affairs as the Catalan government pushes forward with its plans for an independence referendum on leaving Spain.
On the other hand those same usual suspects complain about the EU not getting involved.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/914449418446917637

I would mention Dan Hannan's response to her, which was also shredded, but as seems the in-thing for him now he deleted it and Politwoops hasn't caught up yet.

https://www.politwoops.eu/p/unknown/DanielJHannan/

Everyone's favourite Belgian, Guy Verhofstadt, has made some comments.

Quote:
I don't want to interfere in the domestic issues of Spain but I absolutely condemn what happened today in Catalonia.

On one hand, the separatist parties went forward with a so-called referendum that was forbidden by the Constitutional Court, knowing all too well that only a minority would participate as 60 % of the Catalans are against separation.

And on the other hand - even when based on court decisions - the use of disproportionate violence to stop this.

In the European Union we try to find solutions through political dialogue and with respect for the constitutional order as enshrined in the Treaties, especially in art. 4.

It's high time for de-escalation. Only a negotiated solution in which all political parties, including the opposition in the Catalan Parliament, are involved and with respect for the Constitutional and legal order of the country, is the way forward.
There must be consequences for Spain regarding this. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone that the European Union is taking its time over formulating a response.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote