Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 13:57   #643
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think you're right Re: Discovery. Two or three years ago I was privy to a document that showed that the ultimate aim of Discovery was to put everything onto their streaming service and keep only one linear channel to showcase their content.

I wonder if the shares that Malone has been building up in Discovery will have any affect on the Discovery linear channels leaving VM? Probably not given the merger with O2.

Do you know if the UKTV plan is to complement their linear pay channels or replace them? I'm assuming that their FTA linear channels will be unaffected??

It really does seem to be a growing trend for broadcasters to cut out the middle man and retail directly to consumers via streaming apps. Another reason why Sky seem to have taken the sensible approach by embracing them and making the emerging situation work for them as best they can.

In time I can see the pay TV platforms being given no choice but to offer their pay TV element via apps. Instead of packs we could see discounted bundles being offered according to how many apps a person subscribes to.

I doubt this will be as profitable for them; maybe this is why Murdoch sold Sky before the company lost value because of this??
Atm UKTV would probably offer them on UKTVPlay as a alternative so still keeping a good relationship with VM and SKY whilst they build their pay model on UKTVPlay.

Viacom will be another one would think as they roll out Paramount plus to more markets, i'm off work for rest of week so wouldn't get anything concrete until i return to work (if anything develops).