Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 09:57   #637
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's your argument, not mine.

Anyhow, there won't even be an EPG in the future, so I don't see how VM will be able to compete with Sky on the TV side without becoming a super-aggregator, which is what John Malone was aiming for at one point.

Despite a late start, Sky has got this message and now offers all the main streaming services. Your apparent belief the VM cannot do this for the reasons you have given is shown up for the nonsense it is by the fact that Sky is already doing it!
There will always be Live content so there will always be a need for an EPG, or equivalent of, even if it's just for a handful of Live-content-only channels.

Virtually all prerecorded programming will eventually be on-demand, possibly maybe a few shows will be used to fill short gaps in Live channels.

There might even be a few genre-themed and/or provider-authored channels for trailers. My argument is that some people might find it helpful to have something they can turn to to know what's available on the various on-demand services. These would likely be automatically compiled streams rather than broadcast. The Live-content channels will remain broadcast until lag is sorted, possibly longer as there will probably be reasons that aren't obvious to us end-users for broadcast continuing.

Something being streamed rather than broadcast doesn't mean channels will disappear, it doesn't stop being a channel because it's delivered differently, Live-content will require navigating, and comparing side-by-side so the viewer can decide which, if any, Live content to watch, so a grid guide system of some sort for Live content will likely continue. But awful navigation has never stopped stopped a service being a success, just look at Facebook.

Given EPG stands for Electronic Programme Guide and those words could describe the interface to every existing VOD service, maybe the term EPG will simply be redefined. If we were looking for a more accurate name for what is currently called an EPG we would probably call it an Electronic Channel Schedule instead.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Enough of the bickering - back on topic, please.
Sorry Hugh, you posted as I was typing/composing.

On-topic. I've not noticed Colors Gujarati stream on Digital Bit Rate yet, despite it supposedly launching on VM soon.