View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 10:40   #4
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM-O2 to open up its network and seek external investors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This would be a great way to enable City Fibre etc to expand, without the need for heavy investment.
I very much doubt it.

Cityfibre themselves are not an internet or content provider, they are an infrastructure owner. They build it and have contracts with internet providers to deploy services over the fibre - currently Vodafone and Zen, I think.

This is what VM02 is proposing. VM set up a separate company called Liberty Fibre Networks a couple of years ago, to build FTTH networks using a mixture of VM infrastructure, BT PIA and new dig, and it was hoping to wholesale a % of these new fibre connections to the likes of Vodafone and Sky similar to how Cityfibre do it, to help fund the build.

Liberty Fibre Networks was wholly acquired by Virgin Media prior to the 02 merger.

This is just a re-announcement of that particular strategy, I’m not even sure it has been announced again or whether it is just a punt by the FT journo.