Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2021, 16:53   #535
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Why would you care? Are you planning to do lots of recording?

There isn't an ability to keep them for a fixed time, but they become inaccessible after a time if the channel is dropped by VM.
Yes, I do record a lot because on demand bookmarks are unreliable, with programmes being pulled after a week, 4 weeks or a few months.

I grant you, there has been a lot less worth recording lately - most of the good stuff can now be found on the streamers - but until all content can be seen later in this way, I still need to record stuff.

As far as the latter paragraph is concerned, that has happened only rarely until recently. When Universal closed down last year, I made a point of watching all recordings from that channel before they were pulled. I will be doing the same for Fox content that has been recorded.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'd say it's more likely to happen with third party content in the near future (e.g. Friends being removed from Netflix at extremely short notice).

I'm sure for the vast majority of rational consumers in the marketplace subscribing to an additional service to get the same content they had previously is sub-optimal outcome - they aren't as dogmatic as you are about streaming.
As I said, the vast majority of what I watch on the streamers is the original content, so that disadvantage does not apply. Now (TV) of course, is an exception.

I'm not dogmatic about streaming. I record, bookmark or otherwise access content where it is to be found. Increasingly over time, this tends to be by way of the streamers.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Also worth pointing out that broadcasters can also have in their content agreement that recordings become inaccessible if you no longer subscribe to the channel - even when it's still on the platform.

Although it's only Sky that currently do this - as they do for their own customers on their platform too still I believe.
Well, that is within your own control. If you want to retain recordings from a particular channel, then keep subscribing to it.

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
It's more likely to happen for example Ratuken items only have a 3 year limit, i know as fallen fowl of this myself.
3 years is reasonable, IMHO.