Thread: General City Fibre
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2021, 11:11   #18
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: City Fibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Hopefully alt nets drive coverage and competition.

As you say if one becomes national (or the sum of them does) then it represents competition at a national level.

As Pierre pointed out earlier though as it’s cost prohibitive to deploy the challenge is if there’s someone already there (FTTP or Virgin) and you are fighting over market share from Day 1 it’s often more appealing to go elsewhere.
Yeah, you'd definitely think that, yet neither Cityfibre (who are going hard on their deployment), or others like toob in Southampton seem to consider VM competition.

I guess they are planning on significantly undercutting them, with a product that can easily be scaled to XS-GPON and beyond for little additional cost (no need to replace any cables etc, unlike the work VM have to do for node splits).

I mean, 20x the upload for more than 1/3rd less than Gig1, with much better latency than DOCSIS can achieve? Hell, in the case of toob it's £25/m to £64/m from VM. You'd be a fool not to switch.

VM can of course do GPON over their fibre in RFoG areas, it can coexist with DOCSIS, but that raises the "national product" issue again.

That said I've heard that CF are not achieving the level of penetration they hoped for. Personally I think this is at least partly down to lack of hype/advertisement. Most people here in Ipswich don't even know they exist or are rolling out.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote