View Single Post
Old 15-03-2020, 16:46   #2643
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]For what my opinion is worth, the EU showed very clearly how it likes to conduct negotiations at the time of the Withdrawal Agreement.

However, in the first instance they were able to play on the weakness of a shoddy prime minister.

The current PM shows no such weakness and the evidence last year was that they were prepared to make minor movement. It was minor because all they really allowed was for Stormont to be able to close down the customs arrangements.

The question is: Can we glean any possibility that the EU will be realistic, less arrogant and come to the bones of a deal before June.

The pandemic is irrelevant to the outcome and the Guvmin should keep up the pressure on the EU via the ministers not concerned with Coronavirus.
I think that the pandemic is relevant as leaders will have their minds & time on the pandemic and key people may be infected by the virus itself.

As it's clear that the Coronavirus will have an extremely serious negative economic impact (shares that I hold have taken a battering already) I think It's worth revisiting the transitional period at least.

Leavers have either said that they don't believe that leaving with no deal will cause any economic fallout or that it will, but It's worth it long term. This was before the pandemic though.

For balance, some leavers have said that they think that this is simply a ruse by remainers to keep us aligned to the EU for a bit longer. I don't think that this is the case as we've already left and a reasonable extension is now neither here nor there in the greater scheme of things.

At the moment Jhnson is adamant that there will be no extension:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-says-johnson

But I think he will at least privately consider it in the light of these serious developments since.

Last edited by Chris; 15-03-2020 at 16:52.