View Single Post
Old 14-12-2019, 15:31   #1941
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If I were a retai facing losing 44% of my customers I would be looking into selling to the larger customer base that would be opening up to me by no longer being part of a closed group of customers.
The 3 largest economies in the world are China ($25.3 trillion, 19% of the world's total GDP), the EU ($22 trillion, 16% of total GDP), and the USA ($20.5 trillion, 15% of total GDP) - together, they are 50% of the world's GDP.

If you think a country with under a seventh of the EU's GDP (the UK) will have the same negotiating power with China and the USA, never mind the smaller countries, you are being, I believe, optimistic.

The EU currently has 41 trade agreements covering 72 countries - the UK currently participates in those agreements, and the UK is seeking continuity for its existing EU trade agreements with a number of countries after Brexit (but this isn't guaranteed) - trade with them made up about 11% of UK trade in goods and services in 2018, so add that to the 45% (latest figures) of our exports to the EU, 55% of our exports are at risk (of having as good a deal as we have now).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 14-12-2019 at 16:43.