View Single Post
Old 16-05-2018, 17:24   #2003
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You are 100% correct. I was classed as a dev/reporter on their next OS at the time code named Longhorn.(I had nothing to do with dev but reported on problems). That OS became Windows 7.0 which was not fit for purpose on release M/S didn't listen but, they had to get a new OS out. They soon followed it up with SP1 to solve the problems we'd reported. It was, to all intents and purposes XP with a different UI.

I still have a Longhorn install disc knocking about somewhere.

Vista, what a joke, they were aiming at Windows 10 then! They had to issue a sevice pack and guess what it was. It put XP OS back under the hood just as they did with Windows 7.

Windows 10 is a totally different beast. I won't give it house room now as I can see what they are aiming for. When W7 updates cease I'll go Linux.
I think you're confusing Vista and Windows 7 there?

If I remember correctly the original Longhorn was scrapped, and development restarted for Vista on a branch of the latest Windows Server code available - which is why it then felt like XP with a different skin.

Windows 7 then 'fixed' Vista - some of which was just waiting for the hardware and tech companies to catch up with what Microsoft were doing e.g. WDDM.

Last edited by BenMcr; 16-05-2018 at 17:27.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote