View Single Post
Old 29-02-2008, 16:30   #307
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
So herein lies some extra info - No matter if BB users of said ISPs are opted out of the system, Phorm still knows what people are looking at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Reg
A presentation doing the rounds at BT suggests two possible scenarios. The first alternative is that "ACE" in these diagrams checks whether a user has opted out of their browsing history being used to target advertising, and the process ends there and a normal HTTP request is sent to the website the user is visiting. The second possibility is that the opt-out check is performed once the request has been diverted all the way to the Anonymiser. That would mean Phorm still knows what you're looking at.
Reading further in those articles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Reg
We tapped Aaron Crane, The Register's Technical Overlord for help bending our puny scribe's brain around these diagrams. He said: "Looking at this makes me damn glad my own internet connection is funded by what I pay for it, so the ISP doesn't have to engage in this sort of shady practice merely to cover costs.

"If I were using one of the ISPs concerned, I'd switch."