View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 16:04   #13506
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
Sometimes I get a little bored and wonder what will come out of the woodwork if I do a little wandering around.

Did a little search for webwise on the bt site
http://www.bt.com/retailsearch/searc...ieStatus%7E%7E

The second result leads to
http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cf...&p_faqid=10988

bt.custhelp.com is hosted on 81.110.142.41

and a whois on ripe.net gives the following result

Does anything related to webwise get hosted by BT?

BTW custhelp.com has a US address as per alexa http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:N...m+custhelp.com
I wonder if BT cookies are leaked there too? - it leaks the 2o7.net tracking used on the bt.com site.
Originally these enquiries were going to Phorm direct via the contact us pages on the BT Webwise site (hosted by Fasthosts - famously devoured by a fire/power outage a few months ago to demonstrate the rock solid security of the system)
They forgot they were supposed to have overseas data processing partners signed up to the Safe Harbour agreement - still waiting for ICO to come back to me on that one....

At the time BT cookies were leaking like a sieve and being passed onto Phorm along with user ID and PII. still waiting for the ICO to come back to me on that one, and that reminds me - BT never replied to my formal Data Protection Act request (plus cheque) for details of which bits of my data got forwarded to Phorm via the Webwise contact us page and the leaky cookies. Must remind them they've broken the law again...

Then BT webwise jumped on a bouncy ball and ran around the world a few times, and now is with custhelp.com their regular customer facing enquiry site. It's more travelled than the Queen Lizze II cruise ship and a lot more leaky.

They have to outsource customer enquiries because everyone in BT has forgotten how to talk to customers. In fact I think they may not even know the meaning of the term - I think we are thought of as suppliers of data, and sources of cash - milch cow is the term I think.

Mostly it's in the UK now but I think there are some backup mirror sites in some strange American locations - wouldn't be surprised to find out that they aren't signed up to Safe Harbor agreement either.

Thanks for reminding me Madslug - time flies so quickly. I find it really difficult keeping on top of my BT law-breaking files. The pile is so high.