View Single Post
Old 29-11-2019, 13:16   #1163
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s hardly arguing for the sake of argument. Old Boy has, once again, made a material change to his ongoing argument

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=5884

This post, and those around it, he was clearly talking about television working to a schedule. Not digital terrestrial/cable or satellite.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

If he’s making the case that linear TV will exist but not over Digital Terrestrial then fair enough, it’s not that bold an argument as cable/satellite and IPTV are superior technologies in any case.

Is the DTT space even desirable for 5G? I thought much higher frequencies were being utilised to deliver the required bandwidth.
At last, the penny seems to have dropped!

Yes, my argument is that existing scheduled TV will ultimately be replaced by video on demand and streaming. I thought page 1 of this thread made this clear, but evidently not, as it seems to have taken a few years for this to sink in.

I accept part of the blame for initially using the term 'linear', but at the time, all the press articles I was coming across referred to our existing channels thus. Then, having (I thought) clarified the position, there was much pedantry going on revolving around terminology and other nonsense.

Finally, maybe there is at last an element of agreement about the thrust of the argument presented in this thread, even though some may still be of the view that existing channels will continue much as they are now. For that, we must wait and see, but I believe that the broadcasters will adapt to new technology by the time IPTV takes off and replaces existing transmissions. I would not be at all surprised if at that point, if not before, Sky will cease to broadcast via satellite, thereby reducing costs.