Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 29-01-2021, 20:38   #3230
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
US election threads have been closed for less out of date commentary but I think in fairness you should provide some context.

We pay more for the Pfizer vaccine than the EU and do have a slower delivery schedule. We are off label prescribing, for emergency use only, the AstraZeneca vaccine developed here, at a dosage that I'm still unsure of the efficacy level is 62%, 70% or 90% based on the data available.

As someone desperately keen to get the economy going and the end of lockdown restrictions I'd not yet be counting those chickens.
My but you’ve been awfully quiet these past 2 days while the EU vaccine procurement programme has unravelled so spectacularly. And now here you are desperately trying to argue that black is white, day is night and that we are are somehow, contrary to the opinion of almost everyone, messing things up.

A couple of things that have been lost in the noise over the last day or two that are worth picking out here:

First, in the La Repubblica interview with Pascal Soirot, he was extremely supportive of the long-gap dose strategy presently being followed in the UK - for both the Pfizer and the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines. He believes that the data shows that the first dose of either vaccine eliminates serious disease in virtually 100% of cases. Let’s say that again: a near-100% elimination of serious disease. That is a prize worth having. He also states that with the AstraZeneca vaccine there is reason to believe the longer gap actually improves the rate at which it prevents any disease at all, though obviously there isn’t conclusive data for that yet.

Second, there is a suggestion the UK has paid more for vaccines. And so what if we have? We have a pretty significant problem with spread of the virus in this country, not all of which can be put down to government policy. If we can’t force people to stop infecting each other by social means, then the vaccine is our only major weapon. Every serious disease prevented is tens of thousands of £££s saved in intensive care costs. I bet, eventually, paying even double per vaccine dose that in the case of Oxford-AstraZeneca is maybe £3 per person, will be proven to have been a canny investment indeed.

Related to the second point, we are now seeing in the UK the establishment and improvement of some of the world’s leading life sciences capability, paid for by that up-front government investment and higher per-shot vaccine price, and as covid is not going away any time soon, that is a very good place for British science and industry to be.

The facts on the ground are that we are light years ahead of almost every country on earth with our vaccination programme, and particularly light years ahead of any European nation, because they all put their faith in a slow, bureaucratic process that was more interested in saving pennies than lives. There, but for the grace of Brexit, might have gone us.

Last edited by Chris; 29-01-2021 at 20:43.