Thread: Netflix Altered Carbon
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 08:21   #26
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Re: Altered Carbon

A few minor quibbles, purist that I am:

In the novels, the 'Elders' were Martians (although it later becomes apparent that they didn't originate on Mars).

The role of the CTAC was filled by the Envoy Corps. The Corps was created to deal with the difficulties faced by soldiers being needlecast to different worlds, i.e. everything - atmosphere, gravity, local customs etc. etc. - may be totally different from what they're used to...yet they might be expected to fight within hours of arriving with no time to adjust or to assimilate whatever tactical info has been downloaded into the sleeves' stacks.

Envoys don't need that time. Their training concentrates primarily on the mind, not the body (which is only a sleeve in any case and can be grown to be at the peak of physical fitness straight from the tank with no training whatsoever), and it's the pure mind which is cast. To quote Kovacs: 'Not soldiers, no. Not exactly.'

However, I'm not (yet) a Netflix subscriber. So I have to ask: is the series at least reasonably true to the novels? If it isn't, it loses all credibility - and given that a) it touches on the touchy subject of religion and b) there's the kind of extreme violence you'd expect in a world where inflicting serious injury just doesn't mean as much (except to the victim at the time, that is) as it does today...

(Oh, one more thing: are they pronouncing Takeshi's surname correctly, i.e. with the Slavic 'ch' ending rather than a hard s?)

Last edited by Anonymouse; 07-02-2018 at 08:28.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote