Thread: Tidying Cables
View Single Post
Old 17-05-2011, 17:02   #1
Egmel
Inactive

Egmel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tidying Cables

Hi Everyone,

When I bought my property the previous occupants had already had VM cable/phone installed so I decided this would be my easiest option (even having sworn never to use them again). I got a self set up and after a few false starts with the phone line everything was eventually working ok.

Unfortunately the original installer had drilled through the aluminium window frame to install the cable and attached the box onto the window sill. I'm assuming the former was done because the flat is tile hung and the latter was done for convenience. Even more unfortunately the double glazing units started to fail and I replaced them about 6 months after moving in (about a year ago). The guys who were replacing the windows advised against me repeating the window drilling trick saying it would invalidate my warranty and most probably my insurance if that window was compromised. Instead they chased it into the wall to one side of the window and left it for me to do what I wanted with. As they were also replacing the window boards/sills they didn't re-attach the vm internal box (at my request) and I've just been using it loose for the last year without any issues.

I have finally got round to redecorating that room. I have chased in conduits and boxes to house the cables, isolator and splitter. I've also got fascia plates for both the 2 cable outputs (internet and tv though I only have the former I felt it advisable to future proof for the tv too) and one for the telephone. However all the cables are the wrong lengths for where I need them to go. I've read that it's in-advisable to alter the installation set up (which I've probably come close to already given the work that's been done), when I phoned VM they wanted £99 to come and do the work.

So, What I want to know is what I'm allowed to do myself and the best way to go about doing it.

The black main cable (prior to the isolator) needs to be shortened by a few inches (I could poke it out through the hole but this will leave it loose and it will end up damaging both itself and the hanging tiles).
The cable between the isolator and the splitter also needs to be shorter.
I need 2 very short cables to connect the splitter to the fascia plates.
The telephone line needs to be extended by about a yard.

I can make new cables to connect the various internal bits and pieces but the current cables don't have any markings on them saying what their ratings are.

How much trouble am I likely to get into if I shorten the incoming cable myself? Are there local (edit: near to Guildford) people I could use to ensure the job is done correctly?

I've seen jelly connectors for phone lines on ebay, would these be a good solution to extending the phone line?

Piccy which shows a bit what I mean (though it was an in-progress image and now everything looks a lot better - for a start all the sockets are back on the walls!)

Many thanks in advance (especially if you've read through all that!)
Helen
Egmel is offline   Reply With Quote