View Single Post
Old 23-12-2017, 17:43   #3806
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Will VM be creating a news channel to replace this?

A few years ago, just before the Irish version of Freeview started (Saorview), TV3 (which of course Malone now owns) wanted to open a news and a childrens channel, but scrapped the idea because the carriage costs were too high.

In February 2016 the Irish Times reported that Malone said he was going to open three Irish channels in the genres of news, children and sport.

He's invested heavily in Ireland in property and land, not just television and intends to retire there.

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 ----------

Re: The rebranding of his existing Irish channels, apparently, VM are awaiting the results from marketing and media consultancies before making any decision.
To be honest, I doubt very much that VM would establish its own news channel. They are expensive to run (I believe Sky News operates at a loss) and in any case goes against his philosophy of not owning content but taking it from other providers.

Of course, people do often change their principles when it comes to their own personal interests, so maybe if he is retiring in Ireland, he will make an exception in this case!

Don't hold your breath though, Richard, I think the odds are against it!