View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 16:26   #138
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I think both BBC B and COM7 are full.

Base on COM4 (They can hold up to 18 streams) COM4 have room for one TV and one Radio Channel to launch due to 5Select moving to BBCB/PSB3 and 365 Travel being axe last week.

With COM5 and COM6 have got room to launch FOUR Channels.
COM7 runs at over 36Mb/s
Currently 6 SD streams (soon to be 7 again) and 5 HD
BBCB runs at 40Mb/s
Currently 2 SD streams and 6 HD

The general rule of thumb is HD takes 4x space of SD so you could say BBCB is already carrying the equivalent of COM7 if you mentally converted its extra HD stream into 4 SD streams. And that's before you take into consideration the 40 Vs 36 Mb/s difference in bandwidth.

I vaguely recall COM7 had a maximum of 5HD and 8 SD after COM8 closed so I think there's one encoder unused there.

There seems to space for extra services on BBCB even before the multiplex gets reengineered for extra BBC1 and ITV regional HD, it's simply that there are no extra encoders in place before this reengineering takes place, the way I interpret it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think Com 7 is due to close in June 2022ish, so I bet you're right and they have got a cheap deal.

Apparently, they've also been giving a free or hugely discounted months trial to let the Less popular channels try out Freeview to see if it's worth their while signing up for a longer term eg Court TV, That's TV Gold. Can't remember where I read it.
I'd be interested in the source Richard.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote