View Single Post
Old 16-09-2012, 22:11   #18
pyenote
Inactive

pyenote is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bloody "Sky" Engineers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I had the same problem Suzie - elf'n'safety means Sky have to send an 'at height' install team (two man instead of solo) if your dish needs to go more than abut 6 ft off the ground. Our dish had to go on the chimney because it's the only part of the house that's brick. The rest is wood and not ideal for bolting a dish into.

They cancelled the install on me three times as well. And because they have so few at-height teams, getting another install date can be frustrating. However after the third time, I insisted on talking to someone senior at the Sky callcentre and he advised me to cancel my order, that I had placed directly with Sky, and instead order it through an independent, sky-approved installer. Independent installers are not obliged to follow Sky's policy on at-height installs. I found a local company and ordered Sky through them, and had the installer out and job done in under a fortnight.

Not that I'd recommend Sky to anyone though; we cancelled it after a couple of years and now just use the dish to get free satellite channels. We watched far too little of the subscription channels for it to be worthwhile. If you want digital TV and you're worried about Freeview reception, then have a look at Freesat. Again, to avoid fussy installers I'd steer clear of the main retailers and find a local, independent satellite installer. This website will tell you who the Freesat-approved installers are in your area:

http://myiss.co.uk/eurosat/listing.php
im a sky engineer myself and i understand ur grievance. i also get a bit annoyed at having to explain health and safety to 7 or 8 customers on a daily basis, but we have to abide by the companys regulations. We are constantly randomly checked on the use of health and safety equipment by our managers and by an external company, if we're caught not using it we get disciplined then sacked if caught again. i do understand why people think h & s is over the top but at the end of the day im not going to risk my job and more importantly my life so somebody can watch t.v.
pyenote is offline   Reply With Quote