View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 21:39   #20
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice
Re: Using my virgin mobile overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
I couldn't make any calls with my VM mobile on a recent holiday. Checked with 789 and was told I didn't need to do anything, it would just work. I have had the contract for almost 2 years now.

I was on a Med cruise from Southampton.

As we left the English Channel I got a nice text from VM welcoming me to the USA ( it was an American ship) with all the tariff details. The same thing happened at Gibraltar, France, Italy, Sardinia, Portugal etc.

I did receive a couple of calls and could text perfectly but I could not make any outgoing calls. Tried altering the number prefix to +44 after ditching the 0 but it made no difference. I either got 'invalid number' or a voice message telling me that 'no connection could be made, contact your service provider'.

I had a maximum signal most of the time as well.

Contacted VM on my return and was advised to try adding 001144 instead of +44.
Maybe being an American ship and somehow they've set up their own mini-network they have it set up that you must use 011 - the USA code for making international calls and not 00 the European and many parts of the rest of the world access code. Could be the phone didn't realise that +44 needed to be converted into 011 and not 00 as I've heard this happen a few times with people in the USA.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote