View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 13:32   #7
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Using Hitron CGNV4 and eero Mesh Router

Great to hear you got this up and running.

You can indeed use another of your fixed IP addresses for a server. How you do this will depend on the capabilities of your router. What you are looking for is the ability to add a second WAN IP address to the same interface you have connected to the Hitron. On my Draytek, for instace, this is called a WAN Alias. On a Cisco router it would be a secondary interface address. So suggest you have a look to see how / if you can achieve that with the router you have.

After that you'd than redirect the ports you need for your web server from that IP address to the internal IP address of your server. One extra thing to check is that your router can then NAT your server behind this second IP address, so that responses go back from the same address they came in on. This will help you avoid issues with remote end.

You could connect your server to another port on the Hitron directly and setup a static IP address on your server, however this does expose the server to the outside world, and you are reliant only on the limited firewall capabilities of the Hitron. So my advice is do it via NAT/PAT on your router and control the firewall rules there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobikoro View Post
My next question is: I want to run a web server and use one of the remaining static IP addresses. Do I connect the web server on the router and use the IP on the ISP server when defining my A record or do I connect directly to one of the LAN ports of the hitron??? What I am trying to say is how do i use the other IPs

Last edited by ccarmock; 01-09-2020 at 13:35.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote