View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 12:31   #4655
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In its current form Netflix offers TV Shows and movies from many different studios/broadcasters in the world your describing it will only have it's own content to rely on and be competing against other huge competitors. People only have so much money to go around.
Fully agree.

The media landscape will look very different to now.

I can't remember whether there was a single incident or not (I seem to recall Netflix having a spat with Disney several years ago, at the back of my mind, but I'm maybe wrong on that), but when Netflix decided to make its own shows, that totally changed everything.

All of a sudden there was a platform available globally (almost) which had a direct relationship to its customers and fully controlled its own content. No licensing deals to haggle over, no arguing over how much to pay per subscriber, it totally changed everything. No middlemen. No extra costs.

As I've said before, I hate all these separate apps. It was easy when you could switch on your stb and you could select what you wanted from the same interface and with Sky integrating Netflix into their system, that may be the case in the future too with the streamers.

Pay tv companies may integrate the streamers into their systems and offer bundles of streamers for a set price to offset the decline of channels. It may go like that, or it may not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In my previous post I never mentioned the likes of Google and Apple.
I do think there will be further consolidation among the American media/telecom/tech cos which should eventually reduce the amount of streamers.

Starting with CBS and Viacom re-merging, then someone like Verizon buying them. Then you have all the others like Sony, the other major film/tv producer in the States and Lionsgate, AMC and Starz. These will all get gobbled up. But if all these companies just have one major streamer each, there will still be at least six streamers. If they all charge something like £10 each a month and then we have to pay for broadband on top, plus sports (for those that want it) it gets very expensive.

The flip side is no more buying DVDs and having instant access to all Hollywood at a touch of button. With cord cutting increasing in the States and the cable/sat cos revenues eroding from traditional pay tv bundles, it seems blindingly obvious which way the wind is blowing, does it not??