View Single Post
Old 21-12-2017, 21:56   #4062
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Never knew that, I've always known it as a streaming company. Wasn't it just films that they streamed to start with??
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I meant when they started streaming (always thought their name was derived from films over the internet).
It's an interesting point.

They would probably say that they got that name because you could rent, order the dvds over the net. I reckon, even twenty years ago, their ambitions were wider than that and they had to wait for the technology to catch up with their ambitions.

In a office I used to work in, you could rent dvds from a vending machine. When the machine was filled up with new films, the envelopes that contained the dvds had the words Netflix on them, which meant nothing to me at the time. That was several years before Netflix ever officially operated in the UK, so they have been around, albeit behind the scenes, for a while now.

Last edited by Horizon; 21-12-2017 at 22:00.