View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 13:16   #20
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Does hand sanitiser damage DVDs?

Apologies for bringing up an old topic but it has occurred to me whether any soap left in your hands after washing and rinsing can damage CDs and DVDs.

I have noticed that whilst you can easily wash away soap, the 'grease' from the soap stays on your hands and that it is not that easy to fully dry your hands.

I came across his in a Google search which said:

"CDs and DVDs are made from polycarbonate, with a layer of foil (gold or aluminum) protected by a layer of lacquer. That's the same plastic as your eyeglasses!... A mild dish soap that is water-based. Isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol and water - mixed at a rate of 1:1....If you'll be careful to not scratch the disc, the washing itself will not damage the disc. btw, because of the soap can leave some residuals."

This was written in2013 and it's difficult to be sure whether tis way referring to soap which one sues to wash one's hands.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote