View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 00:56   #3656
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
.... as you correctly say the number of commonwealth citizens voting or how they voted is not know. But we can correlate a rough guess based on the demographics of each London borough. And guess who is the majority population in the 5 London boroughs that voted to leave...? British of course. The rest of London is majority foreign and it is not out of this world to suggest that they voted a different way. I suggest they did.

The 3 million figure I quoted is for foreign residents in London. I didn't say they all voted, that's just how many are registered to vote.
I get the theory but the facts don't prove it. Take a Remain borough like Richmond. Very few Commonwealth citizens but plenty of EU nationals who couldn't vote. The borough voted Remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The rest of London is majority foreign and it is not out of this world to suggest that they voted a different way. I suggest they did. The correlation is clear.
There's a correlation between people who have strong interactions with immigrants and a vote to remain. Boroughs like Hammersmith & Fulham with low percentages of eligible foreign-born residents still voted to remain.

---------- Post added at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Speak truth to power’, departing envoy tells UK Brussels staff
“Serious multilateral negotiating experience is in short supply in Whitehall, and that is not the case in the [European] Commission or in the Council,” he writes. “The government will only achieve the best for the country if it harnesses the best experience we have . . . and negotiates resolutely. Senior ministers . . . also need from you detailed, unvarnished — even where this is uncomfortable — and nuanced understanding of the views, interests and incentives of the other 27.

“I hope you will continue to challenge ill-founded arguments and muddled thinking and that you will never be afraid to speak the truth to those in power.”
Google headline or subscribers' direct link https://www.ft.com/content/88c29514-...1-7393bb2e1b51
Also at: http://news.sky.com/story/britains-o...rexit-10717357

Last edited by 1andrew1; 04-01-2017 at 01:03.