View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 19:19   #103
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Energy companies collapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Those that can least afford to pay, quite often on pre payment meters, pay more. Aren't we a nice society ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58746953
Why would those least able to pay be forced to remain on prepayment meters, unless they've had arrears at some point in the past? The bill still has to be paid.
I only had a PAYG meter because that is how it was when I moved in. It had to be freshly installed(fire damage from previously tenant) before they knew who was going to move in. I couldn't switch away from PAYG until a smart meter was installed, which I did 3 years ago.
One thing with prepayment meters is that they have to pay the retailers for having people top-up in person. Same as using credit cards. That is an extra cost.
My PAYG rate was cheaper than the credit meter rate by 0.56p/Kwh. Based upon my current smart meter device readings and the letters about the new rates, if I was still on PAYG I would be paying 1.44p/KWh less.
Difficult to be totally sure, because SSE have made such a mess over the tariffs they've informed me about. So many conflicting pieces of info from them.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I'm with Orbit. I suggested them to friends around the UK, but the "postcode lottery effect" gave them much higher quotes, but still better than they had.

Once the prices settle down, I'll be comparing for a better deal. But I suspect many companies will go to the limit to enable them to recoup the losses they are making with Fixed Deals.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

This something that OFGEM has never clarified AFAIK.

If you use less than the price cap level, can they charge you right up to the cap level?

If you use more than the price cap level, does all your usage get charged at a higher rate?

It is totally murky trying to get answers.
If you were charged more because of going above the price cap level, then surely your supplier would have to give you at least 2 different rates depending on usage. Does that happen for anyone?

Last edited by nomadking; 01-10-2021 at 20:24.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote