View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 14:17   #56
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That would have been fantastic at the time. Did they really have The Movie Channel all that time ago? I thought that first made its appearance on British screens when BSB launched.

We first got multi-channel TV when the cable company at the time laid its cables in our area. That must have been about 1996 and the company was Telecential. They were a good company, but customer services deteriorated when ComTel took over a few years later.
There was a film channel from Rediffusion, or it could have been one called TEN, 'The Movie Channel' that you're thinking about did indeed start on BSB. It then moved to Astra under the ownership of BSKYB after the 'merger', before being renamed and absorbed completely into Skys general portfolio of film channels.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post

Analogue cable clips start around 2:50 minutes with an archive clip from the 1970s, then a clip showing someone using a CFT-2100, which were still being used in Milton Keynes in 2011/12. BT (which owned the cabling) refused to upgrade the cabling for Virgin Media's digital services. I believe the analogue service in Milton Keynes was stopped in 2013/14.

If anyone has a General Instrument CFT-2100/CFT-2200 box plug it in and make a video!!!

Btw as landlines are still analogue, how much bandwidth are they taking up? I take it there's no special equipment multiplexing the signal from house to street cabinet?
VM are to move their telephony service over to VOIP:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote