View Single Post
Old 24-02-2021, 13:14   #103
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Uber licence revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Businesses adapt all the time. If British businesses get undercut by competition, they just respond and get better. That’s progress.

Of course businesses need to work within the law. It is unfortunate that the law is an ass.

The law is continually being tested, novel ways found to get around unintended consequences, etc.

As for workers’ rights, the right to seek the flexibility that many gig workers find useful is being compromised. Both Uber and their drivers considered the drivers to be self employed. There was no need for the courts to interfere and amend the contracts that had been drawn up with joint agreement.

As I said, this is not good news for consumers either, who will now have to pay more for the same service. This will lead to fewer people using the service, which will mean less work for the newly designated ‘employees’. Lose/lose.
Well, since Uber's aim is to move to driverless cars, that will be a moot point.

And if you believe that the contracts were drawn up jointly between Uber's corporate employment lawyers and the individual drivers, I've got a bridge you might be interested in...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote