View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 19:59   #3313
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Better alternative no l don't think so OB and the majority l have no doubt would disagree with your hyperbolized statement as well.
Why is that, Den? Please explain.

With broadcast channels, you have so many disadvantages.

1. You can only watch what is scheduled.
2. The programme you want to see can only be seen at the times the schedulers say you can.
3. On most of the channels, you are subject to countless commercial breaks, which extend the length of programmes by about 15 minutes per hour.
4. Programmes are easily missed because they are hidden amongst zillions of channels.
5. The only way to avoid some of these problems is to record, but you have to find the programmes first, and then you constantly worry about filling up your hard drive.

Whereas with streaming, all the programmes are available by selection, they are more easily identified from the user friendly UI, you don't need to record or be bothered by commercial breaks. What is more, you can watch your programmes when you like and binge watch on whole series at a time if you want to. Additionally, streaming services are far better value for money and have more choice available.

These are the first things that come to mind immediately.

So please tell me why you think streaming is not a better alternative. You have the right to your own point of view of course, I accept that, but I am genuinely curious why you should disagree with that statement.

No one liners - just give us your reasons so we can understand.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I predicted that it would either close or go FTA and join VM when the contract with Sky expired and their funding ceased.

Never considered this third option! At least VM customers will now be able to access it's programming and this is good for channel parity between Sky and VM.
Yes, most of us agreed that ITV Encore would come to VM after the exclusivity period. I certainly did not think they would go to box sets only at this stage - I thought this would be likely about a decade down the line.

Maybe things are happening quicker than I have predicted. Hold on to your hat, Den!

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Having re-read the article, I may have been too quick off the mark to suggest the box sets are launching on Virgin - the wording suggests it will merely be offered to them. A subtle but significant difference, especially given the current situation with the main ITV channel.
The sticking point may be over price. Most of the ITV Encore content is already available on demand via ITV Collections. Virgin won't want to pay much for three or four series that have been exclusive to that channel.