View Single Post
Old 17-07-2022, 18:19   #1461
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don’t think I’m misunderstanding your position at all. I’m simply pointing out the inconsistencies within it. A streamer going out their way to create an ad driven service (presumably at additional cost?) = good. A linear channel maintaining a presence - to every television in the land regardless of internet connectivity at low cost = bad/uneconomic.

As I said, you misunderstand. The Conservatives have long been sympathetic to the replacement of the licence fee with a subscription method. As long as this preference continues, then it will end up as legislation and the Beeb will be obliged to cease having the licence fee available to fund their operations.

That is my premise. If anything changes, then clearly that would alter my prediction.

So pray tell me, if the government decides to go for the licence fee being abolished in favour of a subscription, how exactly is broadcasting from transmitters remotely possible?

That is your challenge, jfman. It’s not about personal preference or what you believe people want, it’s about practicalities.

My prediction is based on what I think will happen, not what I prefer will happen. Personally, as long as everything I want to watch is available to access without having to sit through adverts, I am happy. Others can do as they please.

But everything I predicted in 2015 is coming to pass. Nothing has happened that seriously challenges that prediction. And it’s still only 2022.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
How can it not be an issue? Speeds, congestion, outages. All impact on the ability to watch television over broadband.

Well if you’ve got Virgin Media the TV service won’t necessarily go with the broadband. Any streamers you watch obviously will.
I’ve never had problems with streamers either. Any more ‘problems’ you want to invent?