View Single Post
Old 19-05-2022, 08:50   #1338
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The evidence is out there if you look for it, and even older people are embracing VOD now.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20220403...#axzz7TiFKXgxA

If the future wasn't VOD, then why are the TV channels encouraging people to view that way? As you will have seen, the new ITVX platform will be screening original dramas well before they put them on their scheduled terrestrial channels. Viewing a whole series from release on demand is now commonplace - even the BBC and Sky do it.

All the broadcasters are pushing their audiences in the direction of VOD, and they are doing that for a reason.
OB quote the line that refers to the proportion of viewers who exclusively watch on demand content.

I'm not sure why you are asking me to contest that on demand viewership is rising? I've never contested that point only your absolute assertion that it will inevitably reach 100% and specifically by 2035.

There's many reasons for a broadcaster to push streaming. Principally to sell consumer data probably, analytics about who is watching and when. However that doesn't necessarily mean they will do so at the absolute expense of linear - as you point out the same content will make it to the terrestrial service. They're technologically agnostic, OB. You are foolish to pretend otherwise.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote