View Single Post
Old 18-11-2016, 10:53   #53
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road
Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
Slightly offtopic question, but do VM use microwave links anywhere for backhaul instead of fibre?

There's a cabled area near me that has no visible (although there could be) crossing of a road to link back to the headend (unless it does cross the road where I think it does and it's been tarmac'd over since then) - however there is network both sides of that A-road, and there is a tower (an NTL site) with a microwave dish on it (on the side further from the headend) pointing across town at another tower that is literally the other side of the road of the headend building.

I find this kind of stuff interesting for some reason.
If you're comparing it to BT's network then don't. Usually with their network you can see a jointbox (as we call them, you may call them manholes), on one side of the road and one on the other. The duct goes at 90 degrees to the road, directly over.

Because the cable network was built so much later they often didn't have that luxury. Up until recently here on a major road you could still see the NYNEX ducting in the road and it's all over the show, diagonal angles to cross the road, curved ducts, all sorts!

So you may be missing something completely and will never figure out how it gets over the road if it's all been resurfaced since.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote