Thread: VM Business Hitron modem or router mode query
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2020, 17:21   #1
bill888
cf.member

bill888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hitron modem or router mode query

hi

I tried asking this question on VM forum but couldn't get exact answer as they don't support business customers.

We have a Virgin Hitron hub wired to a single device, either a cisco and meraki kit (we've not traced the cables). It was installed by a 3rd party earlier this year. We don't own the VM account or manage this supplied kit on our business premises btw.

We want to retire an old/slow BT ADSL connection and was advised we could use the VM connection if the wifi is enabled on the Hitron. However, I'm not sure if that advice is correct.

Only lights visible on front of the hitron are two blue arrow lights and power light. Wifi is off. There are four LEDs labelled 1 to 4 but I understand these may be for the 4 phone sockets - all are unlit.

On the regular VM Hub 3, a purple status light indicates it is in 'modem' mode. Does the Hitron offer similar status LED to distinguish between modem or router modes?

Otherwise, if the Hitron is in modem (or router) mode, is it safe to connect a laptop to spare LAN port to see if internet access is available or access the hub's admin page. We don't under any circumstances wish to disturb or disconnect the existing cisco/meraki kit. I can't tell you whether there is 1 or more or no static IP addresses assigned to the hub.

I was hoping someone with greater knowledge of the Hitron can help.

On a similar note, if we wanted our own VM broadband connection installed. Would a VM installation engineer simply install a 2nd Hitron box by Teeing off the existing coax that goes into the 1st Hitron, or would they have to run another cable from the cabinet down the street to our premises?

tnx in advance
bill888 is offline   Reply With Quote