Thread: 350M Modem mode
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 19:01   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Modem mode

interesting idea and I think it would definitely be doable but it would require some great software configuration which VM couldn't give two shits about and they would probably break the whole thing in the process.

You would have to disable everything that gets turned off in modem mode such as NAT, firewall and all the router stuff and then I imagine have a completely different piece of software start up just run a "switch mode" on ports 2-4. It would be easy to do and maintain if they kept is completely separate from everything else and didn't try to integrate it into existing software and all they would need to program it to load in tandem with modem mode boot cycle. When you switch to modem mode disable the router etc and bring port 1 up only as gateway access and then as a separate cycle in the boot process activate switch mode and bring up ports 2-4.

Now I think about it though because the switch is just a switch you would have to lose one of the ports by connecting it to your proper router so you are really only going to have two usable ports on it which I suppose would be fine in somebody's bedroom for a pc and printer.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote