View Single Post
Old 30-11-2015, 23:25   #2296
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We are currently watching 'Indian Summers' on All4 and you can't skip through the ads on there - most annoying. Although I suppose it does give me an opportunity to go to the kitchen to pour some more drinks!

As for the BBC, I have only suggested commercials as a means of increasing the funding to the organisation, given the popular uprising against the licence fee. Such advertisements should be discreetly placed between, but not during programmes.

I'd still avoid watching them, of course!

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Well, who knows, Harry, but I hope you are wrong. I think there should be a subscription only option without ads for those prepared to pay for it.
Personally, I have no problem with BBC having ads as such, as long as the content that wouldn't necessarily generate huge advertising revenues (such as much of the output of BBC Four) is protected. Adverts do not bother me, as I just tend to ignore them.. What does concern me is that advertising budgets are finite. They have limits. Introducing a massive amount of advertising space to a market that is arguably already flooded with it will drive prices through the floor, and the resulting reduction in income WILL have a negative impact on all the commercial TV channels in this country, which will negatively impact the quality of shows produced by those channels. Arguably the increase in commercial channels since the 80s already has affected ITV in this way.. Look at their output. Throughout the 80s and 90s, they had at least one good, high budget drama on every night (apart from Saturdays, which often had the latest films). Now, we have various reality or "talent" shows every night..