View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 10:25   #7359
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Unless I have misunderstood are we saying that the border would be between the island of Ireland and the mainland? I think this was originally what the EU suggested but the DUP would lose their minds over it, makes it seem like Great Britain is a different country, so that's why the backstop applies to all the U.K?
That's how I understand it too.

There are rumours going round that May is to call a general election soon. It's crossed my mind that she might think that a hard border is the only way forward to resolve the situation.

Obviously, the DUP would not be happy about this and would withdraw their support for the Government. Without their support she would lose her working majority and, particularly as her authority keeps being questioned, she possibly thinks that calling a GE will either end up with her receiving a larger majority to govern or she will lose and let someone else deal eith this.

I know that she said she wouldn't take the Tories into the next GE, but she has form for saying one thing and doing the opposite and may think that it's now got to the point of 'do or die'.