View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 11:23   #721
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I still think we need the small independent traders. Those that know the local area, know local product where relevant, can do the value add they need to to differentiate. So I may still get a PC made by local shop even if it costs a bit more as I know where to go if something goes wrong or I need advice.
I still want to go to a real archery shop where I can try stuff out on their range before I buy it and make sure I'm buying the right stuff for me.

I feel that what is needed now is for landlords and councils to reduce and even cancel rent/rates for some traders/retailers especially where they can't move on-line. Landlords could take advantage of closures to do work needed without disrupting business and still have hopefully good tenants.

John Lewis is a bit of an exception as they do have well trained (and via their bonus scheme, motivated) partners but other large stores often had less good staff and offered the same stuff as you get on-line cheaper - no value add. If you read Which? survey of retailers you can probably spot the ones that will survive at least among the nationals. Those that fit to "local independents" are harder but they are the ones I really want to carry on. (They don't normally fit the models of the large retail centres though.)
Challenge for the retailers is that they need a critical mass of customers to keep the business going; unfortunately, a lot of people will use the on-site shops to look at stuff, then shop online for better prices.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote