View Single Post
Old 31-07-2004, 15:29   #388
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
Going on what BBKing said it would appear that most of the upgrades would not encounter any problems. Are you anticipating major problems and what part of upgrading speeds would generate those problems?
Expect the unexpected, like when NTL done some upgrades in leicester, it caused a seperate failiure, most of the upgrades are quite simple, but even BBking mentioned a small risk of failiure, that risk will be smaller if its done gradually, rather than one big bang

Quote:
If NTL staff are in that bad a state then I would advise them to think about a career change and a major clear out of management that have allowed that state to exist.
That was a genral statement about working on a week shift, ie, TGIF etc, people enjoy their weekends (and need them to stay sane) I was in no way suggesting that NTL is worse or better in that sense , as I dont know :P

Quote:
NTL as a company may be short of a copper or two but I bet the top management and directors aren't. Waiting a few hours overnight may not be a problem to some people but others may not be at home when CS / TS open. It's a poor excuse to say wait till tomorrow or after the weekend. What would you think if you broke down in your car, phoned the AA or whoever and got a recorded message saying "sorry we're closed, call back tomorrow or on Monday if it's the weekend". What would the cost be of having 24/7 cover, what savings would be made from the present system to help towrds this cost and what gain would there be in customer confidence?
Of course the top cats arent poor, lets not get into directors salaries etc.
unfortunatly a gain in "customer confidence" wouldnt pay the huge expenditure that comes with out of hours service, its a balnced between money and service, and tbh NTL's isnt the worst, nor the best out there in telecom land.

Quote:
Of course all businesses are there to make money, but to do so they have to have the right product at the right price and with the best customer service. P1ss off all your customers with that attitude and when they have all decided enough is enough ask the accountants what the balance sheet looks like.
Yes, but to get decent customer service, you have to pay for it, NTL cannot afford a luxury 24 hour service, unless if it changed extortionate amounts for it, as I said, tis a balance between service and profitability, you can have the best service in the world, but if you arent making the money, through satisfied customers or not, you are not going to survive, and that is NTL's sole target, survivial, and proving to telewest that it is a viable business.