View Single Post
Old 31-07-2004, 14:06   #387
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It
It would make even more sense to phase the upgrade, so the tech support can better cope, if anything unexpected happens, like UBR failiures, server failiures, or worse, they would be better prepared to sort it if they only had a small part of the network to sort, rather than all of it
Going on what BBKing said it would appear that most of the upgrades would not encounter any problems. Are you anticipating major problems and what part of upgrading speeds would generate those problems?

Quote:
YOU tell the stressed out, worn out workers that, and see the response, weekends are manned at ntl, just not as much, you cant expect people to forgo their weekends, to be fair they are humans too, honest :p
If NTL staff are in that bad a state then I would advise them to think about a career change and a major clear out of management that have allowed that state to exist.

Quote:
Simple reason, cost, NTL arent rich, (terminally in debt actually) and it would be far too costly, waiting a few hours overnight to be helped isnt that bad, and where an engineer is needed, you would still have to wait until they can be booked.
NTL as a company may be short of a copper or two but I bet the top management and directors aren't. Waiting a few hours overnight may not be a problem to some people but others may not be at home when CS / TS open. It's a poor excuse to say wait till tomorrow or after the weekend. What would you think if you broke down in your car, phoned the AA or whoever and got a recorded message saying "sorry we're closed, call back tomorrow or on Monday if it's the weekend". What would the cost be of having 24/7 cover, what savings would be made from the present system to help towrds this cost and what gain would there be in customer confidence?

Quote:
NTL are a commercial enterprise, they are existant to MAKE MONEY, customer services, is very important, within reason, but NTL's fiirst concern is to be profitiable, and then to provide decent service, you can agree or disagree with NTL's mothods, but to say they should put customer service over profit, is naive unfortunatly.
Of course all businesses are there to make money, but to do so they have to have the right product at the right price and with the best customer service. P1ss off all your customers with that attitude and when they have all decided enough is enough ask the accountants what the balance sheet looks like.

Quote:
About the redundancies, its not that simple, NTL are performing a relocation / downsizing by the looks of things (Mainly to coventry?) to save costs etc, redundancies are never good, but its not clever to speculate on the validity of them.
I am not suggesting that redundancies are not needed, I don't know enough to offer a view on that. What I am saying is that NTL do not listen to the feedback that sites such as this and its predecessers give and do not recognise the talent that they are pushing out of the door. There are some excellent associates who help on here and could be retained but it may be that NTL want to retain the staff on lower salaries that get customers off the phone quicke,r whether they have solved the customers problem or not being immaterial.