View Single Post
Old 31-07-2004, 13:16   #384
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
No, but when you're rebooting lots of devices at the same time and there's even a 0.001% chance that some don't come back (due to approaching failure triggered by a reboot) then you'll get a spike in the graph of people phoning in. Timing this for when you don't have people ready to take it would be stupid, and, despite popular belief, we're not that stupid.

ianathuth - some of us like our weekends. We have 24/7 manned monitoring centres with guys on shift, but us back-end techies don't work shifts - the number of times per year this would actually be useful is outweighed by the number of times a year it's useful for us to be in the office 9-5 as that's when meetings happen and things get planned. No point calling a conference call for 2am.
The point that I was making was that doing upgrades over the weekend and having extra staff in at that time would have made more customers happy by giving them their upgrades sooner. It would also spread the workload for customer services / technical support over a longer period rather than concentrate it in the evening period of the day that the upgrade was done.

I appreciate that many people like their wekends off but a one off situation where they forego the weekend off for the sake of the business is not too much to ask. It isn't as if major speed upgrades will be happening on a regular basis, is it?

It has always puzzled me how a large company offering all its products 24/7/365 doesn't support them 24/7/365. You should never have to call NTL and get a recorded message saying that the offices are closed and asking you to call back the next day or after the weekend.

I appreciate all the work that has gone into giving these free speed updates and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter if it's done today or next week. What does bug me is that NTL are more interested in the balance sheet than in providing a full 24/7 customer care service to support 24/7 products. Customers are the life blood of every business and they deserve to be looked after. It makes me sick to see some of the well known, very helpful NTL associates that contribute to this site being given the redundancy push. Any senior NTL officer worth his / her salt would be keeping an eye on these forums and would make damn sure they retained the services of all the associates helping on here.