View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 00:05   #766
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The United States and Europe are completely different when it comes to cord cutting , I accept that in Europe the UK is more at risk owing to the fact it has some of the highest pay TV prices but it is still nowhere near to the cord cutting thats been seen in the US.

Have you ever watched TV in the US ? The amount of ads live TV has over there is another reason On Demand has accelerated far quicker.
Yes, I have watched tv when in the States and I agree, its abysmal with the amount of ads, hence the cord cutting there and the switch to streaming.

Europe is different that the States, I agree too. We have public tv for one thing and far less ads in our commercial channels, but I still think streaming will come to dominate here. Look at the rise of Netflix here from zero to more customers than Sky now, see here:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...by-end-of-year

The issue with streaming is what OB just linked to, in that everyone wants all the content under one house through a single provider and that is something I'm not sure the traditional pay tv companies will be able to do, even if they do offer all the streaming services in the future. You can search for Netflix content on a V6, but it's hit and miss in what content it finds.

Netflix used to be the everything under one house provider, but with the likes of Disney and possibly others pulling content off Netflix, we will all need more than one service to get a decent amount of content to watch.