View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 22:52   #1
G UK
cf.addict

Services: TIVO, XL TV, XL BB, M Phone
G UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of Quads
Constant modem reboots

Recently been upgraded to 10Mb and a new problem has appeared.

For the last few months I've had the occaisional modem auto-reboots although they've been few and far between and been easy to live.

Since the upgrade the occurances have been the same except when I start utorrent. I'm not a heavy user of torrents but every time I start downloading the modem reboots randomly every minute or two.

With Newsgroups and other Downloads it seems fine.

My system security is tighter than a Ducks backside and my system logs dont show ay problems related to this therefore I doubt its my system.

Kaspersky Internet Security
Firefox with Noscript & Adblock
Regular checks with
Adaware
Spybot
HijackThis

Plus lots of common sense/paranoia

My Signal Levels seem to be fine

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.89 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.68 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmv

My opinion is my trusty old Ambit120 cant handle the pace of the new speed in conjunction with the multiple connections anymore and is on the way out.

I've been on the phone to a Virgin Indian Lady (/Snigger ) who despite obviously not knowing much about the service did try and help and eventually say she was sending an Tech/Modem out.

It did take a while as there were two major stumbling blocks:

1) She didn't know about the 10Mb upgrade and insisted I should be on 4Mb or 20Mb. I think she understood after me explaining it to her and told her to put down 4Mb.

2) She didn't understand that the fault was internittant. Ended up unplugging the modem whilst she ran her tests the second time.

God knows what will turn up as she insisted I needed a tech but at the end said she had ordered a modem for me.

Anyway back to the point, does anybody have any experience of similar occurances and am I right in blaming the Modem.
G UK is offline   Reply With Quote