View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 15:30   #211
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Leadership who is the next PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Lots of pollsters have issue with the Telegraph's reporting on the poll though. They commissioned the question, that's fine, but to attempt to translate it into seats without context looks to be an attempt from The Telegraph to promote Boris.

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/sta...15049047076864

I mean I have doubts that Boris is so popular that he'll storm to the biggest majority the Tories have seen since Thacher.....
Maybe, maybe not. I have no doubt that the Left, including the liberal, metropolitan left that fancies itself as the authentic voice of Twitter, is absolutely crapping its pants over the thought of Boris as Tory party leader because, regardless of what extrapolations the Telegraph has made, as things stand he clearly does have the reputation and voter recognition that other candidates don’t, he is the arch-Brexiteer, closely associated with the battle bus and the £350 million slogan that brings them out in hives, and he beat Ken Livingstone to be London mayor twice in a city that, at its default setting, is Labour territory.

Far be it from me to argue the technicalities of poll construction as I’m not an expert, but I absolutely don’t believe that anyone frantically tweeting a multi-part rebuttal after hastily deleting a first attempt that basically read “bull5hyt, bull5hyt, bull5hyt” is coming at this purely from a desire to defend good social science.

Another objection I see being raised is that May was also popular until she went up in front of voters; this cheerfully ignores the fact that Boris has been up in front of voters in a way few other of our current generation of politicians have and, as I’ve already said, won Labour London against the most Laboury, Londony Londoner ever to run for office. Twice.