View Single Post
Old 18-05-2017, 20:09   #557
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: June 8th General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
OK having had chance to think about the proposed changes in social care rules I see a big problem for those people who're live in carers for their parent(s) at home but are now going to face the prospect (if extra care in the home is needed) of finding the house they've lived in and previously would have inherited could well have to be sold after their parents die. It may not be many people in this situation but I do think if we're going to expect family members to sacrifice their lives to care for their parents, we can't then penalise them additionally for so doing. Where are these people supposed to live and on what when their caring role ends? £100k isn't going to go very far for someone who has no job and nowhere to live is it. It seems to me this will just mean that less people will want/be able to care for their parents.
It's also a bit of a lottery. We don't know how long each of us will live or what conditions we may get when we're older and some of us will get to protect our assets as we remain in good health and others less so. I would prefer we all contribute via a rise in national insurance to pay for social care. It's how we handle other healthcare after all, we all pay but some need it more than others.

Still this is better than nothing and since the Tories will actually be the government it's at least a start in addressing the issue.

The Tories know they'll win so it's good they get to be a bit more realistic but at the same time they apparently have barely costed their manifesto. There is a touch of arrogance there as well (they've also banned Sky News from the campaign for some reason).