View Single Post
Old 14-12-2019, 20:27   #98
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Welsh 16 year olds get the vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Lol, you can't afford them to have a vote when they might not vote the way you want them to more like!

Youngsters today are better educated and more informed than ever. I'm afraid it's older generation that tend to be more bigoted and influenced by tabloids. There should definitely be an IQ test before you're allowed to vote, age should be irrelevant.
I don't care about how they vote. What concerns me is that most young people are unduly influenced by their teachers and lecturers, and do not have sufficient life experience to understand that views of Utopia are just fairy tales.

This is too important to muck about with. I am prepared to accept 18-year olds having the vote (despite my instinct, which tells me that 21 is more appropriate), but 16 is one step too far.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Best think about taking the vote from over-65s, then, as their cognitive functions can decline by 10% from that age...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16425522
But despite some elderly people suffering mental decline, most still have sufficient experience of life to make better choices than those with no real experience of life.

I shouldn't think that there are many people with dementia would want to vote, let alone remember to do so.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Excuse me but that's my area of expertise being a retired secondary teacher..My experience is most teenagers will ignore their parents.
As a parent, I was always careful not to influence the political views of my children, something they have thanked me for since they became adults.

Unfortunately, parents are powerless to influence the crap that they are fed by teaching staff. And students are more influenced by them than their parents.

I am sure that you would never have fed these hungry minds with your political views, Maggie, but could you honestly say the same of your colleagues?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote