Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2020, 06:05   #278
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The day is fast approaching when the majority of unaffected people are going to say, **** this, let me live my life and support my family, there are way too many people losing their jobs/livelihoods for the (unfortunate few) that will die from this virus, don't get me wrong, but if no vaccine is forthcoming what else do we do?
The majority of unaffected people working from home aren’t going to proactively and regularly put themselves at risk when that day comes. They’ll be quite content saving a few grand a year on their commute to central London.

People can’t magic themselves into jobs that don’t exist, or customers from nowhere. All your scenario brings is a lot of angry people, a lot of infected people and some deaths. Which will inform the decision making (consumption habits) of some groups to behave in a risk adverse way. Others portray this as binary - hiding under the stairs or behaving normally. It isn’t. But how much people spend (and where they spend it) will have altered in an irreversible way.

Three groups of consumers - those at risk who would shield, those fully or partially working at home, and unfortunately those whose employment circumstances have changed can’t/won’t start acting like it’s 2019 because they get bored.

Fundamentally there’s a lot of jobs that simply won’t come back even if people did start revolting. Which is why it needs leadership and a strategic economic response instead of bean counting from people under the false apprehension that we have any intention of repaying £2 trillion of debt.