View Single Post
Old 31-03-2019, 14:17   #2120
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
So disabled people over 65 don't need to get around? Lock them indoors where they can't be seen by society?

Another anomaly is that Carers lose their "allowance" (now the princely sum off £66.15 for a MINIMUM 35 hour week) the day they get their State Pension.

No-one steps in to take over their role.

And I believe that Carers Allowance is under threat. Two Carers I talk with have been told to complete a diary over 4 weeks, showing how much time they spend caring. Bureaucracy on top of their already tough roles.

And letters announcing the 2% rise in Carers Allowance are filled with information on their rights to flexible working, but if you earn too much you lose the "allowance".
Indeed. Carers are now being monitored much more closely, including by HMRC who are now passing on earnings details to the DWP. ISTR being derided by others when I mentioned this sometime ago.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ne...e-overpayments

One pensioner was on the Radio 4 programme 'Moneybox'. He looks after his disabled son and does some taxi driving at night when he's in bed. He was found to be, on average, earning more than the earnings limit for many years. As a result he was overpaid, on average, by 35p a week and the DWP are taking him to court. He has been warned that he may face a custodial sentence.

The cost of keeping a pensioner in prison and having to put his son into care (as well as the upset that this will cause them both) will far outweigh any benefit to the taxpayer.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote