Thread: General Upgrade planned?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 10:13   #24
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Upgrade planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I imagine they are pulling their hair out thinking about it because the other thing they need to do is educate customers because 99.9% of people are going to continue to have gigabit nics in their pcs/laptops etc for many years to come and you can just imagine the calls to tech support with customers saying they can only get 800mbits on their 2gbit connection which is less than half the speed.
So, many high end AMD x570 boards and Intel z490/z590 boards have >1Gbit LAN now, either 2.5G or in some cases 5G/10G.

This is a niche right now, but in a couple of years it will be a higher percentage, and I'd submit that the category of people likely to spring for a 2.2Gbit connection are far more likely to have a recent high end PC.

Mine has 2.5G, but I'm really not a fan of RJ45 over 1GBit, the 10GB core section of my home network all uses SMF SFP+ modules, the 1G segment uses Cat6 mostly for PoE (Cameras, APs). My router has 10G SFP+ WAN and LAN.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote