View Single Post
Old 24-08-2021, 11:02   #37
ChuckVader
cf.member

ChuckVader is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
The AX11000 will handle port aggregation / dual WAN and has a 2.5Gb port. I guess all I would need is a 10Gb NIC for my main PC, but I'm not about to invest in the Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ .

I'll let you know if it works out.
Sorry wasn't suggesting you should buy the Mikrotik just referencing it as an example.

Are you running the Merlin custom firmware on yours as not sure the stock router will do what needs to be done?

Having a quick look at the manual, the WAN port is the 2.5Gb port so not sure if you could actually use that downstream to your desktop PC.

Link Aggregation appears to only work on ports 1 and 2 and then is 802.3ad which if I remember correctly didn't work with the SH when I last tried. Only round robin worked when I last tested it setting it up. I know a few others found the same issue.

Dual WAN won't give what you need in this case.

Therefore unless the Merlin firmware offers more configuration am not convinced if it will work to give the higher speeds.

You would need to have something upstream of your modem between the SH and the modem but then you start getting potential more NATing etc. Somebody was going to try a managed switch but haven't heard back if that worked or not.

You could try configuring it anyway without upgrading the NIC. I don't know if it is my imagination but one thing to note is that the SH4 seems to take longer to establish the connection this way. E.g. reboot takes several minutes before Internet is back.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Here a couple of links (hope that is allowed) about it for more reading, didn't realise I got it working so long ago as it was Jan 2020...

https://forums.servethehome.com/inde...dia-isp.26354/

and also a nice article written up by a fellow forum member on another site.

https://tech.msh100.uk/virgin/networ...ter-than-gbit/
ChuckVader is offline   Reply With Quote